History of the Hotel Fire
of The Fire
1951 (six years after the fire), the hotel reopened as the
Peachtree on Peachtree Hotel, complete with fire alarms
and fire escapes. But competing hotels were cropping up
all around Atlanta's retail district and by 1967, with no
buyers in sight, the hotel was donated to the Georgia Baptist
Convention who used it as housing for the elderly.
to keep up the expenses however, the GBC sold the hotel
in 1981 to a real estate conglomerate and the hotel would
pass through the hands of no less a dozen more buyers over
the next twenty five years. Each had high hopes, but no
solid deal to resurrect the hotel materialized for almost
twenty five years.